Location: 2710 Chanticleer Avenue, Santa Cruz CA 95065, click here for map.
Hours of operation: Open every day, Monday – Sunday, 7:30am – 3:30pm
(except closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, 4th of July, and New Year’s Day).
Our recycling drive-through is the last entrance at our Chanticleer campus (just past the thrift store). We accept all of the items listed below. Old electronics (working or not) may be dropped at the blue e-waste building at the first entrance.
Please note: The cardboard baler is currently under repair. Please take cardboard to either Buena Vista or Ben Lomond Transfer. We apologize for the inconvenience and will make an announcement on this page when the baler is operational.
We continue to accept CRV items outlined below: #1 PET plastic water bottles, #2 plastic jugs and #2 colored CRV. We accept Styrofoam (polystyrene #6 or EPS6, see below).
Due to market restrictions we no longer accept colored plastic bags, plastic and food containers #1-7, hard plastics (toys, play structures, patio furniture, storage bins, nursery pots, buckets, bottles, tubs and trays, empty plastic motor oil containers) newspaper and magazines.
We accept all computers, TVs, electronics and appliances free of charge at our e-waste/e-cycle center, the blue buildings at first entrance. We accept all of the following:
- Electronics – computers and peripherals, printers, TVs*, monitors, cell phones, audio and video components, amplifiers, speakers, VHS/DVD/CD players, microphones, mixers, etc. *Please note that DLP (Digital Light Processing rear projection) TVs are considered hazmat and are subject to a $30 processing fee.
- Appliances – appliances large and small, including refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, trash compactors, air conditioners, toasters, microwave ovens, etc. We can not accept non-working small plastic appliances (though we may be able to repair some models). Items that are typically not recyclable include plastic fans, hand held hair dryers, home phones, adding machines, video game controllers, coffee makers, air purifiers, modems, humidifiers, etc.
- Batteries – lead/acid (car, computer backup/UPS, laptop batteries, and lithium-ion batteries). We do not accept household alkaline batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt), which may be recycled at O’Reilly Auto Parts (411 May Ave), Outdoor World (136 River St), City of Santa Cruz Public Works, 809 Center St Rm 201, SC Municipal Utilities, 212 Locust St, Louden Nelson Center (301 Center St), Buena Vista Resource Recovery Center (Mon-Sat, 7:30-3:30), and SC Resource Recovery at Dimeo Lane (Mon-Sat, 7:30-3:30).
- Non-ferrous metals – including copper, lead, nickel, tin, titanium and zinc, and alloys such as brass.
Drive-Thru Recycling Center – the following items correspond to bin locations as you enter our recycling drop off area, last entrance (look for RECYCLE sign).
- Brown and red glass bottles.
- Green, amber, yellow and blue glass bottles.
- Clear glass bottles
- #2 CRV Color Plastic containers, such as laundry detergent jugs (look for number in triangle).
- #2 CRV Natural Plastic containers, such as milk jugs (look for number in triangle).
- #1 plastic CRV bottles – clear bottles (46 oz. or less), look for number in triangle.
- Shredded office paper – no shredded newspaper.
- Mixed color office paper – windowed envelopes are OK, no tissue or wrapping paper, please read sign on bin.
- White office paper and white envelopes – no newspaper, tissue, wrapping paper or books, please read sign on bin.
- Styrofoam – polystyrene #6 only (look for “PS6”), clean and dry, no food containers or contamination please (white material, wrapping tape removed).
- Cardboard – Please flatten all boxes.
- Aluminum cans – no pet food cans or other aluminum.
- Scrap aluminum – aluminum lawn chairs, screen doors, siding, aluminum foil and pie plates.
- Scrap metal – aerosol cans and propane containers, (valves must be removed or 1″ holes drilled in either end), tin cans and pet food cans, old water heaters OK. Gas and oil must be drained in all engines. No hazardous material containers accepted).
- Books, vinyl and disks – including commercial music CDs and DVDs, VHS commercial movies in good condition only, books on CD or cassette.
- Thrift Store Donations – Household, office and fabrics, shoes, belts, purses, accessories and more, bins are at our Thrift Store next door. Click here for a list of items we accept at our thrift store.
WHAT WE CAN NOT ACCEPT: Hard plastic, clear or colored plastic bags, plastic and food containers #1-7, aseptic containers (e.g. soy milk cartons), newspaper, magazines, motor oil, anti-freeze, transmission fluid or any other automotive fluid, hazardous material container even if drained, toxic materials or liquids, plastic tarps, wood, tissue paper, paper towels, binders, wrapping paper, small alkaline batteries, paint or fluorescent bulbs at our Chanticleer facility. These items should be taken to Buena Vista Landfill / household hazardous materials drop-off.