We take everything that is recyclable at curbside plus electronic waste including computers, monitors, peripherals, appliances, lead/acid batteries, hot water heaters, scrap metal and aluminum, clothing, shoes and accessories, plus all of the items listed below.
Hours: Open six days a week,
Monday – Saturday, 7:30am – 3:30pm
(except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Location: 1231 Buena Vista Drive (1 mile south of Highway 1), Watsonville, CA 95076. Click here for a map.
There are bins for all of the following items we accept. All recyclables (cans/bottles etc.) should be rinsed and clean.
- Books, Tapes and Disks
- Cartons – Empty, rinse and flatten. Unacceptable: Foil wrapped beverage pouches, plastic straws.
- Plastics- Toys, play structures, patio furniture, storage bins, nursery pots, buckets, plastic pipes, bottles, tubs and trays.
- Sort #1-2: Remove all metal and rinse nursery pots. Unacceptable: Styrofoam, motor oil containers.
- Sort #3-7: These plastics may be grouped and recycled together.
- Cans – Sorted aluminum and tin cans.
- Paper/Cardboard – Junk mail, magazines and glossy catalogs, telephone books, office paper, paperboard such as cereal boxes, milk cartons and asceptic drink boxes. Unacceptable: padded, plastic and Tyvek envelopes, napkins and paper towels, dirty newspaper with paint, pet waste or food/grease and waxed cardboard.
- Please flatten all boxes and cartons.
- Tie shredded paper in plastic bag.
- Staples, tape and plastic window in envelopes can be recycled.
- Sort newspaper and sort cardboard each separately.
- Plastic bags – Clean and dry. Bundle plastic bags inside another plastic bag and knot the top.
- Batteries – All household and auto batteries.
- Electronic Waste – Scrap household electronic products, computers and peripherals, audio and video components, telephone equipment.
- Clothing – plus fabrics, shoes, belts, purses and clothing accessories.
- Scrap metal - and motors/engines with oil removed. Aerosol cans must be empty, empty propane containers OK.
- Aluminum foil and pie plates, electrical wire and microwaves.
- Non-ferrous metals – scrap aluminum, brass, copper etc. Aluminum lawn chairs, screen doors, siding, aluminum foil and pie plates, electrical wire and microwaves.
- Used motor oil and filters – Bring filled oil jugs and drained oil filters to the landfill. Unacceptable: Oil mixed with anti-freeze, transmission fluid or any other automotive fluid. Note: the state limits transportation of 15 gallons liquid or 125 pounds solid.
- Household hazardous waste needs to be taken to HAZMAT, located near the recycling area at Buena Vista Landfill.
Items accepted: Fluorescent light bulbs, ballasts, paints, stains, solvents, pesticides, herbicides, automotive products, cleaning products, aerosols and pool care chemicals. Hours: HAZMAT is open Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 7:30am – 3:30pm. Call 831.454-2606 for additional information and tips on safe transportation.