Grey Bears at a glance:
- Pounds of healthy food distributed each year to seniors and local charities that serve seniors through our Brown Bag Program: 2.7 million
- How many meals that provides: 1,000,000
- Favorite food in bags from member survey: strawberries and apples (tie)
- Tons of material diverted through our recycling centers each year: 4,200
- Number of annual transactions in our Thrift Store and Computer Electronics Stores: 76,000
- Number of weekly volunteers: 500
- Annual volunteer hours: 80,000
- Value in dollars: $1,700,000
- How volunteers help: quality control, assembly and delivery of weekly bags of groceries; receiving, repairing, pricing and cashiering in our thrift store, bookstore and computer electronics store; listing books and other items for online sales; composting; office and admin support; teaching classes and helping with annual events.
Grey Bears was named the Aptos Chamber of Commerce 2015 Organization of the year. Here’s a video created for the Awards Dinner on October 30, 2015.
This video was created by the Volunteer Center, who selected Grey Bears for a Be the Difference Award group winner.
Grey Bears is big on reusing, repurposing, and upcycling donated items to help preserve our environment and divert as much as possible from the waste stream. We hosted the very first Repair Cafe, where Fix-It Coaches helped the public learned how to disassemble, diagnose, and transform their broken electronics, appliances, toys, clothing, and more into working items. Join us at the next Grey Bears Repair Cafe on April 12, 2014.
Roy Vigliecca was honored with the Volunteer of the Year Award at the 2013 Be the Difference Awards. Roy has volunteered in the Grey Bears thrift store for 15 years, and also serves at the Senior Center & Senior Outreach, several religious congregations and I-U Ventures. Roy helps local seniors by ascertaining their needs and tailoring his assistance in the best way possible.
We also produce three major events each year that are free for all county residents age 55+: 39th Annual Holiday Dinner on December 6, 2015, Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon on May 18, 2016, and 43rd Annual Harvest Picnic on September 27, 2016. Please contact us to learn more.
2710 Chanticleer Ave
Santa Cruz CA 95065
501(c)(3) Charitable Non-Profit ID#: 732870
For a staff directory click here.