Grey Bears at a glance:
- Pounds of healthy food distributed each year to seniors and local charities that serve seniors through our Brown Bag Program: 2.7 million
- Favorite food in bags from 2013 member survey: strawberries
- Tons of material diverted through our recycling centers each year: 7,500
- Number of weekly volunteers: 500
- Annual volunteer hours: 80,000
- Number of annual transactions in our Thrift Store and Computer Electronics Stores: 100,000
- How volunteers help: gleaning, assembling and delivering weekly bags of groceries, produce quality control, composting, office support, and helping with classes and events.
This video was created by the Volunteer Center, who selected Grey Bears for the 2011 Be the Difference Award group winner.
Grey Bears is big on reusing, repurposing, and upcycling donated items to help preserve our environment and divert as much as possible from the waste stream. We hosted the very first Repair Cafe, where Fix-It Coaches helped the public learned how to disassemble, diagnose, and transform their broken electronics, appliances, toys, clothing, and more into working items. Join us at the next Grey Bears Repair Cafe on April 12, 2014.
Roy Vigliecca was honored with the Volunteer of the Year Award at the 2013 Be the Difference Awards. Roy has volunteered in the Grey Bears thrift store for 15 years, and also serves at the Senior Center & Senior Outreach, several religious congregations and I-U Ventures. Roy helps local seniors by ascertaining their needs and tailoring his assistance in the best way possible.
We also produce three major events each year that are free for all county residents age 55+: Volunteer Appreciation luncheon and Member Party on May 28, 2014, Country Pancake Breakfast on July 12, 2014, 41st Annual Harvest Picnic on September 23, 2014, and the 38th Annual Holiday Dinner on December 7, 2014. Please contact us to learn more.
2710 Chanticleer Ave
Santa Cruz CA 95065
501(c)(3) Charitable Non-Profit ID#: 732870
For a staff directory click here.