Grey Bears at a glance:
- Pounds of fresh produce and healthy staples distributed each year to seniors and local charities that serve seniors through our Brown Bag Program: 2.3 million
- How many meals that provides: 1,916,550
- Favorite foods in bags from member survey: spinach, artichokes, apples
- Number of healthy hot meals served to seniors, volunteers, and staff annually: 14,710
- Tons of material diverted through our recycling centers each year: 4,100
- Number of annual transactions in our Thrift Store and Computer Electronics Stores: 81,000
- Average number of weekly volunteers: 457
- Annual volunteer hours: 80,000
- Value in dollars: $2,175,000
- How volunteers help: quality control, assembly and delivery of weekly bags of groceries; receiving, repairing, pricing and cashiering in the thrift store, bookstore and computer electronics store; listing books, electronics and other items for sale online; composting; office and admin support; and teaching classes, fix-it coaching at Repair Cafes and helping with events. Please volunteer now by clicking here to complete our simple online form.
Grey Bears was named the Aptos Chamber of Commerce 2015 Organization of the year. Here’s a video created for the Awards Dinner on October 30, 2015.
Grey Bears is big on reusing, repairing and repurposing donated items to help preserve our environment and divert as much as possible from the waste stream. We hosted the very first Repair Cafe, where fix-it coaches helped the public learned how to disassemble, diagnose and transform their broken electronics, appliances, toys, clothing and more into working items. Join us at the next Repair Cafe on July 29, 2017.
For a staff directory click here.
2710 Chanticleer Ave
Santa Cruz CA 95065
501(c)(3) Charitable Non-Profit ID#: 732870