A few Grey Bears facts:
- Pounds of healthy food distributed each year to seniors and local charities that serve seniors through our Brown Bag Program: 2.7 million
- Favorite food in bags from 2013 member survey: strawberries
- Tons of material diverted through our recycling programs each year: 15,000
- Annual volunteer hours: 80,000
- Number of annual transactions in our thrift & electronics stores: 100,000
- How volunteers help: gleaning, quality control, composting, assembling and delivering weekly bags of groceries, running the Thrift Store and Computer Electronics Store, staffing the office and helping with classes and events.
This video was created by the Volunteer Center, who selected Grey Bears for the 2011 Be the Difference Award group winner.
Grey Bears is big on reusing, repurposing, and upcycling donated items to help preserve our environment and divert as much as possible from the waste stream. We hosted the very first Repair Cafe, where Fix-It Coaches helped the public learned how to disassemble, diagnose, and transform their broken electronics, appliances, toys, clothing, and more into working items. Join us at the next Grey Bears Repair Cafe on April 12, 2014.
We also produce three major events each year that are free for all county residents age 55+: 38th Annual Harvest Picnic on September 23, 2014, the 41st Annual Holiday Dinner on December 7, 2014, Volunteer Appreciation luncheon and Annual Meeting of the Membership on May 28, 2014, and Country Pancake Breakfast on July 12, 2014. Please contact us to learn more.
2710 Chanticleer Ave
Santa Cruz CA 95065
501(c)(3) Charitable Non-Profit ID#: 732870
For a staff directory click here.