Tabouli salad or Tabbouleh is a simple Mediterranean salad of very finely chopped vegetables, lots of fresh parsley and bulgur wheat, all tossed with lime juice and olive oil.
1 large bunch, or 2 cups Italian parsley
2/3 cup mint
2 firm tomatoes diced
½ cup bulgur fine to medium ground
2 or 3 cloves garlic crushed
½ cup olive oil
1/2 bunch green onions
Juice of one or two lemons
Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl add ½ cup bulgur to 1 cup of boiling water. Lower temperature, cover and simmer for 20 minutes as you prepare your herbs.
- Wash the mint and parsley. Remove stems by pulling down from top to bottom along the leaves.
- Finely chop the parsley, mint, green onion, shallots and garlic.
- Drain bulgur and remove as much water as possible by pressing down in a fine mesh strainer.
- Place bulgur into a large bowl, add the juice of the lemons, chopped tomatoes and olive oil.
- Combine remaining chopped ingredients to the bulgur mixture.
Salt and pepper to taste.
This dish can be served on hearts of Romaine.