Our recycling drive-through is the third and last entrance at our Chanticleer campus (just past the thrift store). We accept all of the items listed below. E-waste may be dropped at the blue building at the first entrance. Grey Bears works with e-steward certified processors.
Please note: We accept Styrofoam (polystyrene #6 or EPS6, see below). Due to market restrictions we no longer accept colored plastic bags, plastic and food containers #1-7, and hard plastics (toys, play structures, patio furniture, storage bins, nursery pots, buckets, bottles, tubs and trays, empty plastic motor oil containers) at either recycling center. We continue to accept #1 PET water bottles, #2 milk jugs and #2 colored CRV outlined below. Read the County’s press release, or watch the KSBW video, and please note the guidelines below.
Hours of operation: Open every day, Monday – Sunday, 7:30am – 3:30pm
(except closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, 4th of July, and New Year’s Day).
Location: 2710 Chanticleer Avenue, Santa Cruz CA 95065, click here for map.
All computers, TVs, electronics and appliances may be dropped free of charge at our e-waste center – the blue buildings at first entrance. We accept all of the following:
- Electronics – we accept computers and peripherals, printers, TVs*, monitors, cell phones, audio and video components, amplifiers, speakers, VHS/DVD/CD players, microphones, mixers, etc. *Please note that DLP (Digital Light Processing rear projection) TVs are considered Hazmat and are subject to a $30 processing fee.
- Appliances – large and small, including refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, trash compactors, air conditioners, toasters, etc. We can not accept non-working small plastic appliances (though we may be able to repair some models). Items that are typically not recyclable include plastic fans, hand held hair dryers, home phones, adding machines, video game controllers, coffee makers, air purifiers, modems, humidifiers, etc.
- Batteries – Lead/acid (car, computer backup/UPS, laptop batteries). We do not accept household alkaline batteries, which may be recycled at most hardware stores and at our Buena Vista recycling center.
- Non-ferrous metals including copper, lead, nickel, tin, titanium and zinc, and alloys such as brass.
Drive-Thru Recycling Center – the following items correspond to bin locations as you enter our recycling drop off area, last property entrance (look for RECYCLE sign).
- Brown and red glass bottles.
- Green, amber, yellow and blue glass bottles.
- Clear glass bottles
- #2 color plastic CRV containers – colored plastic milk cartons, larger plastic beverage containers, look for number in triangle.
- #2 colorless natural plastic CRV containers – clear, white or natural color milk cartons, larger plastic beverage containers, look for number in triangle (no clamshells).
- #1 plastic CRV bottles – clear bottles (46 oz. or less), look for number in triangle.
- Clear plastic bags and clear stretch film – (no black plastic bags or tarps).
- Brown paper bags – no contaminated bags.
- Shredded office paper – no shredded newspaper.
- Mixed color office paper – windowed envelopes are OK, no tissue or wrapping paper, please read sign on bin.
- White office paper and white envelopes – no newspaper, tissue, wrapping paper or books, please read sign on bin.
- Newspaper – blank and all newspaper parts OK, no bags.
- Magazines & telephone books – including paperback catalogs and calendars.
- Styrofoam – polystyrene #6 only (look for “PS6”), clean and dry, no food containers or contamination please
- Cardboard and chipboard – including feed bags, aseptic containers, milk cartons, paper egg cartons, covers from hardcover books. Please flatten all boxes and cartons.
- Aluminum cans – no pet food cans or other aluminum.
- Scrap aluminum – aluminum lawn chairs, screen doors, siding, aluminum foil and pie plates.
- Scrap metal – aerosol cans and propane containers, (valves must be removed or 1″ holes drilled in either end), tin cans and pet food cans, old water heaters OK. Gas and oil must be drained in all engines. No hazardous material containers accepted).
- Books, vinyl and disks – including commercial music CDs and DVDs, VHS movies in good condition only, books on CD or cassette.
- Thrift Store Donations – Household, office and fabrics, shoes, belts, purses, accessories and more, bins are at our Thrift Store next door. Click here for a list of items we accept at our thrift store.
WHAT WE CAN NOT ACCEPT: Hard plastic, colored plastic bags, plastic and food containers #1-7, motor oil, anti-freeze, transmission fluid or any other automotive fluid, hazardous material container even if drained, toxic materials or liquids, plastic tarps, wood, tissue paper, paper towels, binders, wrapping paper, small alkaline batteries, paint or fluorescent bulbs at our Chanticleer facility. These items should be taken to Buena Vista Landfill / household hazardous materials drop-off.