Our recycling drive-through is the third and last entrance at our Chanticleer campus (just past the thrift store). We accept all of the items listed below. E-waste may be dropped at the blue building at the first entrance. Grey Bears works with e-steward certified processors.
Hours: Open every day, Monday – Sunday, 7:30am – 3:45pm
(except closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, 4th of July, and New Year’s Day).
Location: 2710 Chanticleer Avenue, Santa Cruz CA 95065, click here for map.
All computers, TVs, electronics and appliances may be dropped free of charge at our e-waste center – blue buildings at first entrance. We accept all of the following:
- Electronics – computers and peripherals, printers, TVs, monitors, scanners, cell phones, telephone equipment, audio and video components, amplifiers, speakers, VHS/DVD/CD players, microphones, mixers, etc.
- Appliances – large and small, anything with an electric cord, including refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, trash compactors, air conditioners, toasters, etc.
- Batteries – Lead/acid (car, computer backup/UPS, laptop batteries). We do not accept household alkaline batteries, which may be recycled at most hardware stores and at our Buena Vista recycling center.
- Non-ferrous metals including copper, lead, nickel, tin, titanium and zinc, and alloys such as brass.
Drive-Thru Recycling Center – the following items correspond to bin locations as you enter our recycling drop off area, last entrance.
- Clear glass bottles
- Green, amber, yellow and blue glass bottles.
- Brown and red glass bottles.
- Hard plastics – Toys, play structures, patio furniture, storage bins, nursery pots, buckets, bottles, tubs and trays, empty plastic motor oil containers (no styrofoam, black tarps, pvc or rubber).
- #2 color plastic containers – colored plastic milk cartons, larger plastic beverage containers, look for number in triangle.
- #2 colorless natural plastic containers – clear, white or natural color milk cartons, larger plastic beverage containers, look for number in triangle (no clamshells).
- #1 plastic bottles – clear bottles (46 oz. or less), look for number in triangle.
- Plastic bags and clear stretch film – Bundle plastic bags inside one plastic bag and knot the top, (no black plastic bags or tarps).
- Brown paper bags – no contaminated bags.
- Shredded office paper – no shredded newspaper.
- Mixed color office paper – windowed envelopes are OK, no tissue or wrapping paper, please read sign on bin.
- White office paper and white envelopes – no newspaper, tissue, wrapping paper or books, please read sign on bin.
- Newspaper – blank and all newspaper parts OK, no bags.
- Magazines & telephone books – including paperback catalogs and calendars.
- Styrofoam – polystyrene #6 only (look for “PS6”), clean and dry, no food containers or contamination please
- Cardboard and chipboard – including feed bags, aseptic containers, milk cartons, paper egg cartons, covers from hardcover books. Please flatten all boxes and cartons.
- Aluminum cans – no pet food cans or other aluminum.
- Scrap metal – aerosol cans must be empty and flattened, propane containers (valve must be removed or 1″ holes drilled in either end), tin cans and pet food cans OK. Gas and oil must be drained in all engines. No hazardous material containers accepted.
- Scrap aluminum – aluminum lawn chairs, screen doors, siding, aluminum foil and pie plates.
- Books, tapes and disks – including cassettes, CDs and DVDs, VHS movies in good condition only.
- Thrift Store Donations – Household, office and fabrics, shoes, belts, purses, accessories and more, bins are at our Thrift Store next door. Click here for a list of items we accept at our thrift store.
Please Note: We do not accept motor oil, anti-freeze, transmission fluid or any other automotive fluid, hazardous material container even if drained, toxic materials or liquids, plastic tarps, wood, tissue paper, paper towels, wrapping paper, small alkaline batteries, paint or fluorescent bulbs at our Chanticleer facility. These items should be taken to Buena Vista Landfill / household hazardous materials drop-off.