Our recycling drive-through is the last entrance at our Chanticleer campus, and we accept all of the items listed below. E-waste may be dropped at the blue building in the first entrance, except on Sunday, please drop all e-waste at the recycling drive-through (third entrance past the thrift store, pictured).
Hours: Open every day, Monday – Sunday, 7:30am – 3:45pm
(except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day)
Location: 2710 Chanticleer Avenue, Santa Cruz CA 95065, click here for map.
To help simplify and make your recycling experience as easy as possible, the following list of items we accept corresponds to the bin locations as you enter our recycling drop off area.
- Tin cans/small scrap metal - including all pet food cans.
- Scrap aluminum – aluminum lawn chairs, screen doors, siding, aluminum foil and pie plates.
- Aluminum cans - no pet food cans or other aluminum.
- Empty aerosol and propane cans.
- Clear glass bottles
- Green, amber, yellow and blue glass bottles.
- Brown and red glass bottles.
- Hard plastics – including #3-7 containers, toys, play structures, patio furniture, storage bins, nursery pots, buckets, plastic pipes, bottles, tubs and trays, empty motor oil containers (no styrofoam, black tarps, metal or rubber).
- #2 color plastic containers - colored plastic milk cartons, larger plastic beverage containers, look for number in triangle.
- #2 natural plastic containers - clear, white or natural color milk cartons, larger plastic beverage containers, look for number in triangle.
- #1 clear plastic clamshells – and other #1 plastic containers, look for number in triangle.
- #1 plastic bottles - clear bottles, look for number in triangle.
- Plastic bags and stretch film – Bundle plastic bags inside another plastic bag and knot the top, no solid plastics.
- Brown paper bags - no contaminated bags.
- Shredded office paper - no shredded newspaper, please read sign on bin.
- Mixed color office paper - windowed envelopes are OK, no tissue or wrapping paper, please read sign on bin.
- White office paper and white envelopes - no newspaper, tissue, wrapping paper or books, please read sign on bin.
- Newspaper – blank and all newspaper parts OK, no bags.
- Magazines & telephone books – please remove hard covers from books and place covers in chipboard bin.
- Books, tapes and disks - including VHS, cassettes, CDs and DVDs.
- Cardboard and chipboard - including feed bags, aseptic containers, milk cartons, paper egg cartons, covers from hardcover books. Please flatten all boxes and cartons.
- Clothing – plus fabrics, shoes, belts, purses, accessories and more, bins are at our Thrift Store next door. Click here for a list of items we accept at our thrift store.
Continue around to the left behind our main office to find our e-waste center at the blue buildings. We accept all of the following and never charge drop fees:
- Electronics - computers and peripherals, printers, televisions, monitors, scanners, cell phones, telephone equipment, audio and video components, amplifiers, speakers, VHS/DVD/CD players, microphones, mixers, etc.
- Appliances – large and small, anything with an electric cord, including refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, trash compactors, air conditioners, toasters, etc.
- Batteries - Lead/acid (car, computer backup, UPS). We do not accept household alkaline batteries, which may be recycled at most hardware stores and our Buena Vista recycling center.
- Items containing copper, brass and all other non-ferrous metals.
Please note: We do not accept motor oil, anti-freeze, transmission fluid or any other automotive fluid, toxic materials or liquids, black plastic tarps, wood, tissue paper, paper towels, wrapping paper, small alkaline batteries, paint or fluorescent bulbs at our Chanticleer facility. These items may be taken to our Buena Vista recycling center.