Our recycling drive-through is the third and last entrance at our Chanticleer campus (just past the thrift store). We accept all of the items listed below. E-waste may be dropped at the blue building at the first entrance except on Sunday, when we accept all e-waste at the recycling drive-through. Grey Bears works with e-steward certified processors.
Hours: Recycling Drive-through is open every day, Monday – Sunday, 7:30am – 3:45pm
(except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day).
Location: 2710 Chanticleer Avenue, Santa Cruz CA 95065, click here for map.
To help simplify and make your recycling experience as easy as possible, the following list of items we accept corresponds to the bin locations as you enter our recycling drop off area.
- Scrap metal – aerosol cans must be empty and flattened, empty propane containers, tin cans and pet food cans OK. Gas and oil must be drained in all engines. Metal cylinders (e.g propane) must have 1″ holes drilled in both ends. No hazardous material containers accepted.
- Clear glass bottles
- Green, amber, yellow and blue glass bottles.
- Brown and red glass bottles.
- Hard plastics – Toys, play structures, patio furniture, storage bins, nursery pots, buckets, plastic pipes, bottles, tubs and trays, empty motor oil containers (no styrofoam, black tarps, metal or rubber).
- #3-7 plastics – including all clean food containers.
- #2 color plastic containers – colored plastic milk cartons, larger plastic beverage containers, look for number in triangle.
- #2 colorless natural plastic containers – clear, white or natural color milk cartons, larger plastic beverage containers, look for number in triangle.
- #1 plastics including clamshells – look for number in triangle.
- #1 plastic bottles – clear bottles (46 oz. or less), look for number in triangle.
- Plastic bags and stretch film – Bundle plastic bags inside one plastic bag and knot the top, (no black plastic bags or tarps).
- Brown paper bags – no contaminated bags.
- Shredded office paper – no shredded newspaper.
- Mixed color office paper – windowed envelopes are OK, no tissue or wrapping paper, please read sign on bin.
- White office paper and white envelopes – no newspaper, tissue, wrapping paper or books, please read sign on bin.
- Newspaper – blank and all newspaper parts OK, no bags.
- Magazines & telephone books – including paperback catalogs and calendars.
- Books, tapes and disks – including cassettes, CDs and DVDs, VHS movies in good condition only.
- Cardboard and chipboard – including feed bags, aseptic containers, milk cartons, paper egg cartons, covers from hardcover books. Please flatten all boxes and cartons.
- Scrap metal (aerosol cans must be empty and flattened, empty propane containers OK).
- Aluminum cans – no pet food cans or other aluminum.
- Scrap aluminum – aluminum lawn chairs, screen doors, siding, aluminum foil and pie plates.
- Clothing – plus fabrics, shoes, belts, purses, accessories and more, bins are at our Thrift Store next door. Click here for a list of items we accept at our thrift store.
All computers, TVs, electronics and appliances may be dropped free of charge at our e-waste center – blue buildings at first entrance. We accept all of the following:
- Electronics – computers and peripherals, printers, TVs, monitors, scanners, cell phones, telephone equipment, audio and video components, amplifiers, speakers, VHS/DVD/CD players, microphones, mixers, etc.
- Appliances – large and small, anything with an electric cord, including refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, trash compactors, air conditioners, toasters, etc.
- Batteries – Lead/acid (car, computer backup/UPS, laptop batteries). We do not accept household alkaline batteries, which may be recycled at most hardware stores and at our Buena Vista recycling center.
- Non-ferrous metals including copper, lead, nickel, tin, titanium and zinc, and alloys such as brass.
Please Note: We do not accept motor oil, anti-freeze, transmission fluid or any other automotive fluid, hazardous material container even if drained, toxic materials or liquids, plastic tarps, wood, tissue paper, paper towels, wrapping paper, small alkaline batteries, paint or fluorescent bulbs at our Chanticleer facility. These items may be taken to our Buena Vista recycling center.